Thursday 8 January 2015

Be Careful Out There

First of all - an apology. I have not been here so I haven't. I have been lurking and reading everything - even if I've been a bit late to the party. Just a lot going on - nothing too troubling. Back to work and it's busy and life and things. Am working hard to get back on an even keel.

I just wanted to say a little bit about Channel 5 and its "Too Fat To Work" programme. These thoughts are in no particular order and I will not be troubling the Pulitzer Prize with the writing here but stick with it. 
Listen, I don't like a shirker and and everyone who can should be working. I really have little insight into these people - they could be serial killers for all I know. I am also the wife of someone who works on a hospital ward and has had struggles with people with obesity - both with the physical weight and the attitude they sometimes have to their own lives - I'll leave that there.

I have to be a bit careful here because I know the people in the film slightly as they are service users where I work and I also had some dealings with the film crew they worked with. Having said that, all I would like to point out is

  1. I know a set up when I see it and some things in this programme were not quite as they seemed.
  2. Not everyone in the film was able to understand that there may be an agenda here if you know what I mean. 
  3. The whole thing was sad and upsetting and doesn't reflect well on anyone - including Channel 5.
That's all I can say really. I would like to rant for twenty minutes but I just wanted to warn you not to accept everything on face value. 

Just also wanted to mention a friend who, in the middle of a long line of trolling of the couple on Facebook, typed in "God Bless Them. I hope they have a long and happy marriage" I love it when Grace intervenes.

It seems extra sad to me that on a day when people in Paris have paid for their journalistic integrity with their lives - other people who also call themselves journalists - can produce this. I am almost calm now. Thank you.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Your final paragraph says it all. Your rant was important and worth sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last thing you said- people don't change their (not so good) ways if people throw hate at them, it makes them more stubborn, you have to show people love for them to really change, like Jesus showed us!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These programmes are designed to make fun of people, just like Big Brother. It's about getting people to look and then throw adverts at the viewers, just like tabloid headlines. One of the many reasons I don't have TV or buy a newspaper.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig