Monday 15 December 2014

Advent 3


This week I am

Cancelling tea with the Mayor. Yep that's the kind of high living person I am. I just throw the Mayor to one side because I get a better offer. (Actually, we have a couple of people off work which means that there are literally no phone answerers if I go swanning off. Am hoping Mayor is ok with this. Am thinking that he is as he as already cancelled on me once)

Reporting back on the Paddington movie. It's really good. The spirit of the books is there in all its glory. He's funny and sweet. The Brown family are exactly as they should be and the house they live in is just beautiful in its eccentricity. It is also an unashamed plea for racial tolerance and welcoming strangers into our lives. I don't expect UKIP will be giving out copies of the DVD for Christmas. (Didn't get to see the one about the nun. We weren't sure if we fancied it. The day after we didn't go, it promptly won a big award at a film festival. Of course it did.)

Trying to find a sensible place and then noting down where I am keeping presents. This will hopefully avoid the usual scene of me having to remove all the clothes from my wardrobe on Christmas Eve in a mad panic because 50% of the presents I have been buying are missing. It's never a good time.

Thinking - blow the whole thing and sitting down on Saturday afternoon with some chocolate and watching Hello Dolly. How lovely it is. Am almost not bothered about being found later in kitchen high kicking and singing Put On Your Sunday Clothes.

Attending FOW2s A Level Certificate presentation. Am hoping against hope that it will be as funny as the year they invited a contestant from The Voice to make the presentations. The faces of the Board of Governors as he sang "Your Sex is On Fire" has kept me happy on many a cold night.

Wondering why a elderly man who was drunk as a monkey was trying to shoplift a bottle of suntan lotion. (Bit of a commotion while I was waiting in the Chemist for medication for Aged Parent) I wouldn't have thought there was much call for it at this time of year - even on what I presume is a thriving Black Market in Plymouth. Maybe it was just for the thrill of it. Anyway, I was more unhappy about seeing it replaced straight back on the shelf when the bottle was recovered. It could quite clearly have done with a rinse having been down some rather unsavoury trousers.

Finding out about Advent Candles. I didn't know that each one was supposed to represent anything. (I come from a Christian background where any candle in church is the beginning of a slippery slope) So when we lit ours on Sunday,  I heard that it represented John The Baptist and this was news to me. I like John The Baptist though. A voice in the wilderness. A light in the darkness. In the busy times, in the mess that is in my head, in the darkness that lurks in my thought life, in the sadness of buying a coat for a child in a refugee camp because they have fled their homes with only the clothes on their backs, in the startling realisation that the people we trust to govern us think that we will be ok with torture. During these times it's helpful to remember that God is there - a small light in the darkness sometimes or a still small voice of calm and wisdom. 

Linking up to A Pause in Advent 
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Maybe he was about to fly off to The Bahamas? Maybe he needed to shave his legs?[apparently old suntan lotion which has lost its oomph is still useful to prepare your skin for the razor...] Maybe he thought it was Gavsicon and would help his unsettled stomach?
    At my friend's recent certificate do, at a local Very Posh Independent Grammar School, someone had hacked into the school computer, and changed the details sent to the printers - so the Programme had Very Rude words in the school song, in place of the usual dutiful patriotic stuff. And nobody noticed until they were being distributed!! [so wish I had been there] Such things brighten dull evenings.

    Candles are indeed a slippery slope towards Papistry - but spilt wax could perhaps be a slippery slope into the Baptistery.

    Your posts always make me smile and/or laugh out loud,and that is very important to me at the moment, as I am prone to bursting into tears whenever I think about moving away from my dear friends here.

    Thank you for that!! Advent blessings xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big thing you are on the verge of. Expect God to be all over you like a rash, supporting you and comforting you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like John the Baptist too! Great last thought!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. :0) Just reading and waving . . . xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping to see Paddington over the holidays! And Hobbit. Hope the Mayor has got over the jilt x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig