Tuesday 23 September 2014

Culture to the Second

IMDB

To the pictures to see A Most Wanted Man. I LOVED this. It was subdued, slow and not afraid to go a full thirty minutes without people getting their entrails scattered abroad. It is a spy thriller in the old sense of the word with twists and turns and it is almost impossible to tell who, if anyone, is a goody. 
I know this is trite but Hoffman is a real loss to the cinema. He was just fantastic.

Reading the series by CJ Sansom about Shardlake - a hunchback lawyer who operated in London on the fringes of the court of Henry VIII. It is no Mantel and no Wilcock (the first one is set in a monastery) but really good murder mystery stuff going on here and really famous real people keep walking in and out of the thing. (Cromwell, Rich, Duke of Norfolk etc) At the moment am finishing one and galloping on to the next. This where Kindles don't really do it for me. When I first wanted to read one of these, I downloaded it for 99p on some sort of special deal. Now, three books in, I think I would rather actually own real paper copies, to keep but it seems a bit over the top to buy it twice. What to do...what to do...
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Maybe keep looking out for the second hand one penny copies as they come up on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shardlake.Recently heard one on Radio 4, excellent stuff! New one due out soon, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fancy going to see a most wanted man so really pleased to read your reviews.

    X x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig