Saturday 4 May 2013

This weekend I shall be mostly..

..pottering. Head of House will be working all through the Bank Holiday weekend - doing his bit to keep the NHS on the straight and narrow. FOW2 is revising and recovering from a heavy cold so she is quite useless when it comes to entertaining me so I will be sorting myself out.
I did resolve to use the time wisely and I have ironed all my Spring and Summer stuff so I am ready for the heatwave when it comes. I did get a little sidetracked by Doctor Who and my DVD of the Mentalist but that's to be expected at my time of life. Has anyone else been a bit disappointed by Doctor Who this season? I don't know if it's because there is yet another impossibly beautiful, swishy-haired assistant or the relentless "right-on-ness" (not a real word but you know what I mean) but I am finding the whole thing a bit annoying this series. 
It is probably my age but I am watching less and less telly. Saturday night is a wasteland. Britain's Got Talent is particularly disturbing. As I think I have probably droned on before about this before, just a couple of questions.

  1. When did we decide that letting people with mental illnesses (which some of these people clearly have) and children, come onto a stage to be gawped at by an audience, while a "panel" make fun of them was an acceptable way to behave?
  2. Exactly who decided that Alicia Dixon (whose name I only know because she blighted Strictly for  couple of seasons) and a blond with artificial lips, would be the arbiters of TALENT ?
  3. Do I feel like this because I am now very old?
  4. Why am I asking you this? Why would you know?
I was reminded of my creeping old age this week when I had a lovely pot of tea out with a friend who left our church because they moved away. I was trying desperately to remember the name of the man from church who saw us about us becoming members. Try as I might, I just couldn't think of it.

Me   He's been there a long time.
Pal   Doesn't narrow it down.
Me   Grey Hair?
Pal   Still not narrowing it down really
Me   Seemed very nice
Pal   Nope
Me   Wife wears glasses
Pal   Oh right - now I know.
Me   No-one likes a smart alec.

Anyway, his name came to me about 10pm that night and I texted it to her in Poole. Am only hoping that she remembered the conversation as otherwise she may be  a bit frightened by the way she received a text  just saying

"Don Nuttall!"



SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I also feel disappointed by this series of Dr. Who - and this coming from a long-time fan who has the Dr. Who theme tune as her mobile ringtone! I didn't find last night's episode quite so bad, but I actually used the fastforward button on the previous two episodes!
    My husband and I are both pretty fed-up with what's on the telly. The only things we really enjoy are the period murder/mystery repeats on ITV 3 and documentaries on BBC 4. (Oooh, mustn't forget we also enjoy Have I Got New For You on BBC1!). As for BGT, we just don't bother with it.
    Since I joined a book club last year, my already strong reading habit has dramatically increased. Books beat T.V. anytime. :)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't even have a tv licence anymore! We watch catch-up tv on iPlayer (for free!) and hardly even watch that. Can't say we miss it at all. And the children have never complained either.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig