Saturday 11 May 2013

Legacies

Was sad to hear this week of the death of Dallas Willard. Aside from being blessed with a super-dude  name. "My name is Dallas. How Do You Do? Yes indeed it is a cool name isn't it? "  He also has the rare distinction of being one of the few people who, when I have listened to them on my MP3, I actually leave on to listen to again.
One piece is a sermon about Grace which he defined as "God acting in my life" I found this very challenging because it is not passive and means that God is part of my ongoing life and it demands a response from me. The second piece is just an opening prayer before he preached in which he used the line from God "You are perfectly safe with me." Sometimes when I walk to work felling a bit low or afraid, I play the prayer and remind myself of this. It does a girl good I can tell you. The bloke left a legacy.

We had a visit from a couple from church this week as part of the membership process. They seemed very nice, if a little delicate for our house, and my first question, as usual was "Are you ok with dogs?" "Oh yes, of course we are." Cue Morecambe greeting visitors with bountiful love and joy.  
Shultz

Nice people ."Is he a puppy?" 
"Er no - he is seven"
"He has a lot  energy - quite bouncy." (Said with slightly panicky smile)
"We'll put him in the kitchen"
Return to find nice man looking quite relieved and nice lady drawing heavily on her inhaler. It all went quite well after that. 

Watched this week
Murder on the Home Front
Set in the Second World War. Based on real diaries of a real pathologist's real assistant. Lots of attention to detail. What could possibly go wrong? Well, for me, everything really. Firstly, why do all the lady bodies in the morgue have to be stripped to the waist with their ning-nangs on show? Secondly, the pathologist is so far ahead of his time, he is practically from another dimension. Thirdly, more cliches in it than Shredded Wheat has roughage. Fully expect to see our plucky heroine (who, last week, got herself a job as a pathologist's typist and now finds herself at the centre of every crime scene in London) running through London in the middle of the night pursued by the bad guy.

Reading this week
Miss Read - Village School
Am not entirely sure if this is one of the loveliest books I have ever read or the most boring. Nothing has happened yet - at all - nothing. But the sense of time and place is captivating. Bits even remind me of my own ancient primary school in Salford but I would just like a little thing to happen I think. Just once. Doesn't have to be much.



SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I thought it was just ME who got irritated by those odd anachronisms in Murder On The Home Front. And if he says "Quick as you like" once more, I may scream at him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, I think this is splitting people who watch it. Some love it some hate it. HOH left the room muttering "Cobblers" so think it didn't go down well there.

      Delete
  2. You were expecting Quincy? I never saw partially naked anybodies in Quincy, no swearing and even Sam, the oriental assistant who worked with Quincy put up with his antics without resorting to the 'vernacular' even once. It was a little lightweight, but was nothing more than Hollywood Fluff. Last night it was either MOTHF or some silly/asinine "Reality" show or other where there were no body parts in evidence. Nor brains, intelligence or common sense for that matter. I think I've decided on what was better than 'stat' or was that 'quick as you like' which is not quick really, if you think about it. I 'like' to move slowly and with consideration thank you! Now ASAP is more appropriate, isn't it? Or would that be out of place during WWII? Usually the first episode is a scene setter and it gets down to Nitty Gritty in subsequent episodes, or is that cobblers, I think that HOH has it down to a T in my opinion. There were too many chalk squeaking on the blackboard moments for my liking. So I might not bother next week. Feel free to put me right should you wish, I won't take it personally, honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually loved Quincy! And, believe it or not, an instrument for good in America. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/25/jack-klugmans-secret-lifesaving-legacy/ for instance.

      I may start a campaign for lady corpses to have their sheets pulled up to their chins. :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig