Monday 6 June 2011

Rest and Play



Another Bank Holiday. Head of House was working and everyone else - friends and offspring alike either revising for, sitting or recovering from exams so no one was playing out. So I retired to the kitchen for the afternoon to make meatballs for tea and experiment with new recipe for strawberry cake. (Very nice, thanks for asking. The fruit made it a bit moist for my personal taste but, like most things in life, it was much improved by the addition of good ice cream)
I usually listen to 5 Live when I am in the kitchen but as all the news is about Cheryl Cole and I am a bit off football after all the shenanigans with Percy Pigs (I'm still not sure what the policy is on naming him in print - can't be too careful I suppose) I turned to Radio 2. Where-Oh Joy it was the French and Saunders Radio Show. There then followed a lovely two hours full of gentle humour and silliness. I especially loved the riff about what happens when you get into a bath that's too hot but you put up with it because you think it will cool down in a minute and then you notice that your legs are bright red and that your pulse is racing and you feel a bit faint. Why do we do that? Anyway, I spent a lovely productive afternoon and didn't miss 5 Live at all. Maybe Bryan Goggs (again, careful not to use the real name) should play away more often. Not that I approve or anything.
We have started to book tickets for summer holiday in London. If everything takes as long as deciding what theatre to see, we will proabably miss the whole thing. Watch and wonder as our suggestions are dismissed by the offspring - without any alternative suggestions.
Parents. What about Les Miserables?
Sprogs. It's like an opera isn't it? Can't cope with two hours of watching "the poor" squawking and moaning.
Parents. The Betrayal - Harold Pinter?
Sprogs. Too depressing. People trying to slit their wrists with the ice cream spoons at half time.
Parents. Legally Blond?
Sprogs. Musical theatre is just weird. People talking then bursting into song for no reason.
And so it went on... until
Parents. Warhorse?
Sprogs. Any singing?
Parents. Don't think so.
Sprogs. Any scenes that will make us squirm because we are sat with our parents.
Parents. Probably not - it's taken from a children's book.
Sprogs. Doesn't look like a lot of laughs but It's about the best I suppose.

You're welcome I'm sure. We also booked tickets for tour of Houses of Parliament. Fortunately, this is during the summer recess which has reduced the chances of Eldest Fruit of Womb doorstepping Nick Clegg and asking him how he sleeps at night.
It's all very hard work arranging some time to rest. Especially when teenagers are involved. Listen. I'm sloping off now. I have a couple of days in St Ives with Head of House to celebrate staggering to 50. Just a couple of thoughts. Thanks so much for all the comments on Facebook etc. Good to know you like the stuff. Comments should be working on blog now as well.
Also. I have to tell you that sometimes, I really struggle with this Devon accent. This morning I was certain that someone announced from the front of church that Jesus Christ was sent as an Italian sacrifice for all. That can't be right can it?
Lastly, a famous video clip just to remind you that however you feel you have things organised and under control - your lovely offspring are always capable of frightening the living daylights out of you.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig