Sunday 29 May 2011

Now we are old

Well, here it comes. 50 next month. I know, I know, who would have thought it? So I thought of sharing a few things with you about all that I have learned over the past half century. Things that may enrich and inform you and that you can take with you into your lives. Then I thought, Nah, who wants to listen to all that and anyway, what do I know? So I'll just tell you a few things I have discovered to be inescapably true about getting older.
  1. After the menopause, for all but the most genetically stick thin, it really is an uphill battle. I walk approximately 3 miles a day what with getting to and from work, walking dogs and getting youngest Fruit of Womb to bus stop (now eldest has selfishly left school). I think twice before every cake I eat, even if I do usually eat it anyway but I know that for the rest of my life I will be fighting so that when I turn sideways and look at myself in the mirror my belly doesn't come out any further than my bust.
  2. It's not the wrinkles that bother me, it's the general facial flabbiness. My skin isn't bad but there seems to be a lot more of it under the chin area. Also, holding back the grey hair seems to mean getting the dye out more often. My friend is a year older than me, naturally grey and she looks fantastic. So does that french woman who wants to run the world's finances. Am definitely thinking of giving it a go. (Going grey naturally - not running for head of the IMF)
  3. It's not so much that I don't want to go out. Really I still do. But I find that when I am home, I really like it and, whats more, when I was snuggled up on the sofa, I found my self thinking how nice it would be to have a blanket. No truly, I did. And I don't care.
  4. I am subject to strange crushes. I find the strangest chaps attractive, Steve Martin, Kevin Spacey,  etc. Its like obviously the Cloonster is attractive, but its more an appreciation than all out fancying. Have checked this out with equally aged Head of House and it is not just female phenomenon. Germaine Greer being his unusual crush of choice. Of course this could have something to do with next point.
  5. I can't see! No really. It's all a blur. The optician assures me that its just natural degeneration but, if I forget my glasses, I either have to peg to Primark to get a £2 pair or borrow the engineer's spare pair which is an interesting look.
  6. I hate 99% of everything on the telly. What is going on? I don't get X Factor, Britain's Got Talent etc. Since when did laughing at people who are borderline mentally ill become a national pastime? And, I'd rather scoop my own eyes out with a spoon that watch another episode of Sweet 16 blah blah.
  7. Like they all said they would, simple pleasures have become more important. I like a nice view, a comfy bench, not being cold, cake, a glass of red wine (two glasses and next morning, I will feel like my brain is trying to make a break for it through my skull) a chat and a really good laugh.
Despite all this whingeing, and to be honest, I have cut it short - for instance, if they ever make being tired an Olympic sport. No, no more I promise. As I was saying, despite all this, I am still very grateful. In spite of the ravages of age, I have been able to be here to help bring up our sprogs and that is the main thing, especially when, a long time ago, a doctor told us that that was unlikely. And, even now, there is so much more to do. Not just offspring parenting but lots of other stuff too. All I have to do is raise the energy to do it.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hey it works now!!
    I'm with you on most of those - not got to the fancying Kevin spacy yet but you do have a couple of months on me so that might be my next stage!! It's nice to know that someone else is going through the same crisis as me - and i relate totally to the sofa and blanket. Well not actually the sofa i'm still sitting on the floor but the one thing I'm looking forward to most after getting this stupid back sorted is just that. Curling up on a sofa with a blanket and a book and then falling asleep!!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a lot of hope for me then, nearly 40 and with you all the way, sagginess, sofa, blanket, have I mentioned my tartan pjs that I climb into about 6pm. By the time I get to 50 that blanket is going to be one of those knitted square ones the rate I'm going, but hey as long as we are happy! Great blog - thanks. T

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig